It's a toss up, but I give the edge to Tuck.
This is why:
- Getting in good with these firms is going to require a way in (of course). This is going to require you leveraging your relationships with current classmates (from the industry) and working very closely with the career center. Tuck - more than any other program - is the program (beyond all programs IMHO) where your classmates are going to help you out.
- Sure some classmates may view these few and far between opportunities and helping you as a zero-sum proposition, but its less likely to happen at Tuck than any other school - even Kellogg (which is hardcore collegial in its own rite).
- Additionally, getting a job in PE/VC is going to require that you spend a lot of time going to these firms and building relationships on their terms. Given Tuck's proximity to NYC and the center of all that is finance, you are going to have an easier time getting to meet these firms.
- Of course you could work the recruiter route, but in this case its about building a way in, not necessarily showing a resume to a recruiter. So if Kellogg has a numerical advantage when it comes on-campus recruitment, it is outweighed by the advantage you would having in the more personal introductions that you can get at Tuck and the school's proximity to an industry that you have to travel to in order to engage (for the most part.)
Take a look at each school's employment reports:
- Kellogg - http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/career_employer/~/media/Files/CMC/Employment%20Report/EmploymentReport2012.ashx
- Tuck - http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/recruiting/media/cdo_employ_report.pdf
Here are some specific numbers from each report - see screenshots below.
If you are interested in a free initial consultation, please email email@example.com. Our boutique approach pairs you with a consultant capable of walking you through the above steps and perfecting your application.
If you would like to gain immediate insight into our school specific expertise and MBA program analysis, make sure to download our free How to Apply guides.